Sunday 25 June 2017

Songwriting

Leonard was making a paper plane this morning and shouting 'Jet' so I put on Band on the Run. Haven't heard it in a while - and got enough sleep last night to be feeling cheerful this morning - so I was amused, again, for perhaps the fiftieth time over twenty years, by what a dark night of the soul feels like when you are a stratospherically rich, adored and pampered popstar:

If I ever get out of here
Thought of giving it all away
To a registered charity
Oh god I love it. Drop out, shed your material wealth and all the spiritual burdens that go along with it, but make sure the loot goes to a registered charity! Get a receipt for tax purposes so your accountant can write off your gifts against your expenses! I can just so relate! Lyrical expression for the ages.

I'm listening a lot to LCD Soundsystem's This is Happening because it's beautiful. But I'm afraid that this fail of a grammatically correct utterance (from 'All I Want') really shits me

All I want is your pity
All I want are your bitter tears
 Shits me to tears, in fact. What's the point of writing and recording an otherwise wonderful piece of music about desire, separation, compromise and regret - about love, really - if you can't get basic subject/verb agreement right? Or is that a symptom of why the relationship was doomed from the start? Anyway I don't appreciate being distracted into grammar resentfulness when I'd rather be getting lost in the lines and loops of sound.

While I'm here I might also just say that I am a big fan of Sufjan Stevens and I listened to Carrie & Lowell every day for months, but towards the end of that time I began to be disillusioned by a sneaking suspicion that most of the lyrics don't really make any sense. With some distance now between me and that particular auditory obsession I am ready to say that I was right and they don't.


 
 
 

1 comment:

Ann ODyne said...

pop'y music is dead depressing and old blues guys are very uplifting.
y'all need some Muddy Waters or Furry Lewis. Big Bill Broonzy.

Been down so long,
it looks like Up to me. sort of thing.

Born under a bad sign.
Been down since i was born
If it wasn't for bad luck,
wouldn't have no luck at all.

Howlin' Wolf will cheer you up.
If you want wimmin there's Bessie Smith, Big Mama Thornton.
[ goes off singing 'Woke up this mornin'
felt like I was dead. ...]